Downtown Hays at around 1 pm, October 21st, 1983
About the Case:
- Lang had just started working for a local attorney in the city of Hays. She was taking papers to other attorneys in town to be signed when she disappeared.
- Her car was found parked near downtown Hays with the driver's side door slightly open and the papers and her purse on the front seat.
- Days later, a search team found her coat along a country road six miles from town with her car keys in the pocket.
- Her body was never found.
- There are stories of conspiracies involving the law firm where she worked
- Undersheriff says there are still people of interest in the case.
- One person of interest is Steven Holdren.
- Holdren had frequented downtown Hays during the day prompting complaints from other women shortly before Mary disappeared.
- Holdren was acquitted in a 1977 murder case, but is now serving a life sentence for aggravated kidnapping.
Kansas Cold Case: Mary Lang