YOU ARE HERE: KWCH HomeCollections

Kansas laid-off workers can get help

June 28, 2010|By Joe Ballard | KWCH 12 Eyewitness News

(WICHITA, Kan.) —

Kansas workers who have been laid off can get help from the United Way. The organization says it will begin taking phone calls to set up appointments Monday.

To qualify for help through the Laid-Off Workers Center:

  • Have been laid off and approved for unemployment compensation sometime since October 1, 2008 (not fired, quit, or on medical leave)
  • Show that they have emergency financial needs and have insufficient personal resources to adequately provide food, clothing and/or shelter.
  • Have been laid off from a job in Sedgwick, Butler or Sumner counties, or lived in those counties at the time of the layoff, between Oct. 1, 2008, and the present.

To set up an appointment call the United Way's information line by dialing 211 between 8AM and 5PM. Appointments can be made until Friday, July 2.

Services offered at the Laid Off Workers Center:

  • Emergency financial assistance for those who qualify (mortgage/rent, electric, gas and water). Checks will be written directly to the lender, landlord or utility company.
  • Budget and debt management counseling
  • Help applying for government programs
  • Job training and job search assistance
  • Continuing education information
  • Food assistance
  • Community volunteering information
  • On-site child care services during the appointment
kwch Articles