(EL DORADO, Kan.) — Police are investigating two deaths in two days at one El Dorado home. Wednesday, 41-year-old David Long was found not breathing at the house near Emporia and Towanda.
On Monday, the same thing happened to 37-year-old James Drake. Wednesday authorities suspected it might be carbon monoxide poisoning but later ruled it out.
Officers put on white suites and face mask to investigate potentially hazardous gases inside the home. "We've had a couple of deaths in the last couple days and kind of wondering what's going on," said David Drake. His brother died at the house Monday. Wednesday morning his sister's boyfriend was also found dead. "It's kind of weird."
Police spent the day checking if something inside the house was to blame and found nothing. "They say it's a totally electric house but we haven't found anything going on. Kansas Gas Service has done their part and everyone is doing what they are supposed to. We have to wait," Drake said.
After several hours, police cleared the house for the family to go back inside. They don't plan to stay there tonight, but say they think the house is perfectly safe and the two deaths are unfortunate coincidences. "That's why the police department is looking into it, to make sure everything is okay and nothing else is going on," said police officer Christopher Jones.
In the meantime, the family will wonder while waiting for autopsy results to figure out what really happened. They expect the toxicology reports to take several weeks to get back. Police say they do no suspect any foul play.