(SEDGWICK COUNTY, Kan.) — The windy conditions and dry grass are making it a dangerous day when it comes to grass fires.
Fire crews responded to one in the 5000 block of N. 131st street Saturday afternoon. The owner of the home was burning in a barrel when the barrel got away and started a grass fire.
The fire spread to the siding of a house and a shed. Firefighters were able to get it under control quickly. There was no significant damage.
Firefighters want to warn people to use extreme caution when burning. Carl Cox of the Sedgwick County Fire Department says they've already responded to four grass fires in northeast Sedgwick County alone.