(WICHITA, Kan.) — It's a dangerous trend becoming popular in the US, and in Kansas.
"It has made its way to Wichita," said Dr. Tom Higgins as he stood in the Via Christi at St. Francis Emergency Room. "It is popular, it is out there. And from what I read, it is becoming more prevalent." It is smoking or otherwise ingesting potpourri as a way to get high without breaking any laws.
Wichita Police say a man bought a package of potpourri at a store at Seneca and Harry this past weekend. "After returning home, the victim hand-rolled a cigarette using the potpourri," said Sgt. Steve Yarberry, "and about five minutes later, began violently vomiting."
That sick man came to Dr. Higgins emergency room. Higgins kept the potpourri's packaging, and showed it to Eyewitness News. It is called 'Head Trip'. "We don't know what it is," said Higgins, "but that doesn't mean you aren't at risk."
The bag is labeled as not for human consumption. "I'm not sure why you would feel the need to say that," opined Dr. Higgins, "if you didn't think this was going to be used in that manner."
But what isn't labeled are the potpourri ingredients. "This is dangerous," Higgins stated bluntly. "You have no idea what's in there. You have no oversight, you have no FDA approval."
He says that makes it hard to predict how the body will react to the substance. "Usually what we see is someone becoming ill because the substance is disagreeable, or potentially toxic."
Bottom line, any time you put something into your body, you risk your health.
Wichita police say they have responded to at least two of these cases so far. Dr. Higgins expects this trend to grow -- so he predicts he'll see more cases soon.