(WICHITA, Kan.) — Fire investigators say an 89-year-old man was not seriously hurt in a house fire because he had a working smoke alarm.
Authorities also say careless smoking is to blame for the fire that broke out Thursday evening in the 8000 block E. Tipperary off Rock Road.
Police closed Rock for more than two hours to allow fire equipment and crews to battle the fire.
The homeowner was treated for minor smoke inhalation. Damage is estimated at $500,000 to the structure and $100,000 loss to the contents.