A 16 year-old girl has died from a weekend house fire. The fire started around 6 a.m. Sunday morning in the 400 block of North Dodge. Fire officials say when they arrived, there was heavy black smoke pouring from the back of the home. The girl was located in an upstairs bathtub. Officials say she may have tried to escape from smoke in her bedroom, got disoriented and fell into the bathroom bathtub.
Fire officials say there was no evidence of working smoke alarms in the home. The second floor did have a smoke detector but there was no battery.
This is the sixth fire death in Wichita this year.