(WICHITA, Kan.) — Volunteers at Town East Center worked fast and furious on Friday to sign people up for Wichita's Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
Organizers say 75 percent of the money raised stays in Kansas. It helps women in need across the state to pay for mammograms and related medical needs, as well as breast cancer education programs. The other 25 percent helps fund national education programs and research including breast cancer research at the KU School of Medicine.
Race chair Karla Goewert says that, in the 23 years of Wichita's Race for the Cure, breast cancer survival rates across Kansas have continued to improve.
Registrations for the Saturday morning event appear on pace with last year. People can still register right before they run starting at 6:45 a.m. in the Towne East parking lot.