On the morning of April 12, John Huy was walking his dog Taz when it began raining heavily. After Huy took cover under a bridge, Taz-spooked by a bolt of lightning-sought refuge under a ledge along the sidewalk under the overpass. But fast-rising waters caused Taz to become trapped in an air pocket.
Following a call to 911, the Wichita Fire Department dispatched eight fire trucks, but after failing to locate Taz after 2½ hours, the department called a news conference to announce that hope was lost. Just as the announcement was about to be made, a call came in from one of the firefighters who spotted Taz's wet snout. Suited up in scuba gear, crews cut a hole in the concrete and freed Taz.
For its brave and compassionate efforts in doing whatever it took to save Taz, the department will receive a Compassionate Fire Department Award from PETA.
"The Wichita Fire Department showed compassion, perseverance, and know-how in rescuing Taz," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Wichita is very fortunate to have first responders who are ready to protect and serve not only human residents but also their beloved animal companions."
The Wichita Fire Department will receive a framed certificate, a letter of appreciation, and a box of vegan chocolates from PETA.