(WICHITA, Kan.) — The KDHE has issued a toxic algae warning for Chisholm Creek Park Lake North in Sedgwick County. The lake is located off of N. Woodlawn near the K-96 bypass. It's one of 13 warnings and advisories issued in Kansas.
An advisory discourages contact, but a warning means the public should have no contact with the water. It is unsafe to touch.
"It will bloom and go through a rapid period of growth. One of the byproducts of this algae- as it dies and goes through it's life cycle, it releases toxins into the water," says KDHE Director Tom Langer.
Blue green algae can cause allergic-type reactions such as intestinal problems, respiratory problems, or skin irritations.
Here is the current list of warnings:
- Chisholm Creek Park Lake North, Sedgwick County
- Harvey County East Lake, Harvey County
- Logan City Lake, Phillips County
- Marion Reservoir, Marion County
- Memorial/Veterans Lake, Great Bend, Barton County
- South Lake Park, Johnson County
Here is the current list of advisories: