(WICHITA, Kan.) — A five year old Wichita girl is recovering from burns she got on a playground. The triple digit temperatures caused the surface of the plastic slide to get so hot, it injured her.
Destiny Jackson spent Friday afternoon with her family at Riverside Park and what was supposed to be just another afternoon, it turned into one they would like to forget. She went to go down a slide and came off injured.
"She said mom i hurt myself," explains her father Gerald Jackson. His daughter received second degree burns from the slide. "The top layer of skin had already blistered and peeled and inside, it looked like a goose egg."
The temperatures Friday afternoon reached upwards of 105 degrees. This caused the surface of the slide to get hotter than 160 degrees. It only takes a few seconds of exposure at these temperatures to cause damage.