(AUGUSTA, Kan.) — Update:
An Augusta family is forced to flee their home after it catches fire.
It happened shortly after 2:00pm Sunday, in the 1900 block of Carter Avenue.
By the time firefighters arrived, smoke and flames were coming from the attic and the rear of the home. Crews were able to contain the damage to the back of the home and the attic.
It is unknown if the home was a total loss. A family was home when the fire broke out. One adult was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
A number of dogs and cats were rescued by firefighters as well. They were taken to a local animal clinic to treated.